National Board Standards: Five Core Propositions
The National Board Standards aim to develop, retain, and recognize accomplished teachers nationwide. These competencies establish what a teacher should know and what a teacher should be able to perform in order to have a positive impact on student learning. Certifications are available in 25 certificate areas and span across 16 disciplines, from pre-k-12. Additionally, the Five Core Propositions set a vision for the profession and are as follows:
- Proposition 1: Teachers are committed to students and their learning.
- Proposition 2: Teachers know the subjects they teach and how to teach those subjects to students.
- Proposition 3: Teachers are responsible for managing and monitoring student learning.
- Proposition 4: Teachers think systematically about their practice and learn from experience.
- Proposition 5: Teachers are members of learning communities.
More details on the National Board Standards and Five Core Propositions can be found on the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards’ website.